Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Reflection

Starting out in English 102, I had very little faith in my writing skills.  I lacked the self confidence to believe that I could pass the class.  It has been over ten years since I have attended college.  I spent most of my time in those past years running a business, raising two beautiful children and finding my true passion; working with animals.  My main reason for returning to school is to finish what I started, something I have always regretted not doing when I was young.  Not having a degree has always bothered me and I am finally in a place where I can attain my dream. 
When I first made the decision to return to school, I didn’t realize how much I would learn about myself.  I did not know that I had it in me to grow as much as I did.  Looking back on my experience, my growth as a writer, as a student and as a person has changed the view I have on myself.  I now know that I am capable of accomplishing anything I set my mind to.  I believe this will not only help me in the future, but will also help the way I live my life and the way I raise my children.  I am no longer afraid that I am not good enough, because I know that I am.
When first choosing my topic for the semester, I must admit that I knew nothing about the gender inequality that not only faced the women in America, but also the horrible oppression that the women of Afghanistan endure on a daily basis.  In my research, I learned so much about the deplorable conditions and the unfair treatment that no woman should ever have to bear.  The women in America, even though they have their own struggles, know nothing of suffering compared to these women.  This treatment truly opened my eyes to this world and made me grateful for the life I have.    My writing drastically improved when I became passionate about my subject.  My first essay on American women was very hard for me because I lacked the passion that was created when I researched Afghanistan’s treatment. 
I not only lacked passion, but I also lacked the understanding of how to properly write an essay.  I learned, with the help of my instructor and tutors, the structure of an essay and in that learning, clarity arrived.  Everything came together and writing became less of a struggle and more of an expression of who I was.  Who I wanted to be became an attainable reality.  I have always had a gift to share a different point of view than others and being able to clearly communicate my view is something that I have always wanted.  My writing skills have improved so much that I am now able to speak clearly and eloquently.  I went from having no self-confidence, to the humble reality that I have something to offer.  I lack the words to tell my reader what that means to me.  My whole life has been turned upside down and I am now not only a better writer, but a better mother, friend and wife.  The world has new light and I will be forever thankful for the experience this class has afforded me.    


2 comments:

  1. You are a great writer, and I really enjoyed reading your blog. Great job on the research and citations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right-you are a good, clear, and concise writer. Congratulations Kasey!

    I am happy to hear how much the class has meant to you...proof that education inspires research and research inspires learning and learning inspires the quest for more education. :D

    ReplyDelete