Saturday, December 4, 2010

Interview with Senator Kate Kelly

Q. When looking at the Idaho State Senate and House of Representatives,  I see that about 24% are women.  How do you feel about that number and what has your experience been being a woman in politics in Idaho?  

A. I think being a woman in the Idaho Senate has made me stand out and allowed me to be a role model for younger women (like you!) which has been good.  When I entered the Senate in 2005, we had only 4 women out of 35 senators.  We have doubled that number and I am glad for that and hope that my example has helped to inspire others to public service.
  
Q. Do you feel that you face challenges related to your gender? 

A. No.  

Q. Have you ever felt discriminated against or had any experiences where you felt that you were not heard or promoted because you were a woman? 

A. No.
  
Q. I read on your profile that you have three children.  Have you faced any challenges dividing your time between work and family and has that ever been an issue for you in your career? 

A. Balancing a family and a career is a challenge for every mother and the right balance is different for each mother and each family.  My situation has been complicated by the fact that I have been a single mother since my kids were small, but I have been able to find a good balance.  

Q. Have you ever been passed up for any opportunities because you were a woman and/or had family responsibilities?  

A. Not that I know of.

Q. How can you advise women to get into politics or to further their education in fields where they can better integrate the job market?
  
A. Find a mentor and take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves.   

No comments:

Post a Comment