Saturday, December 4, 2010

Interview with Lisa Rowles PG

Lisa Rowles PG  (professional (and licensed) geologist)
Environmental Hydrogeologist
Department of Environmental Quality
State of Idaho

 
 
Q.  What made you decide to become a scientist?  
A.  I wanted a good job that offered flexibility.  My first major job was working in an electronics company in Silicon Valley and I met alot of people who hated their jobs but didn't feel like they could leave because they made good money and didn't know how to do anything else.  I wanted a job that I liked and made good money.  I also didn't want to get into a rut like those in the electronics field and geology offered flexibility (I could work inside or outside, in the city or the country) I liked that.

Q.  Who encouraged you to choose this profession?  
A.  My mom suggested I take a geology class as my first science requirement during my first year in college (she had taken a field trip with a geology class to the Grand Canyon and had a really good time).  My first geology professor was a really good teacher and was instrumental in helping me realize what a good career geology offered me.  It was also really satisfying to be able to look around me and see what I was learning.

Q. Did you have other interests?  
A. I was an art major when I started in college and was taking both art and general education requirements when I decided to switch to a science major.  (I did alot better in my science classes then I ever thought I would)... I  decided to pursue geology because I wanted a good (and flexible) job and didn't want to be a waitress to support my art.  I decided that while art could always be a hobby, science probably never would so decided to stick with the science when in college.

Q.  Are you happy that you chose this profession?  
A.   Yes, it has been everything I had hoped it would be.  I have worked in downtown San Francisco and the deserts of Nevada.  I have slept in a tent under the stars all summer and worn hiking boots all day.  I have worked in an office and worn nylons and pumps.  I have thought about pure research (when at the US Geological Survey), looked for oil (with BP), looked for gold (with Noranda), cleaned up soil and ground water from urban contamination (in an environmental consulting firm), and worked for the state to regulate polluters and help keep drinking water safe.  It has offered flexibility, fun, intellectual challenge and good pay.

Q.  Do you have any ideas how our nation can educate women to choose high-paying professions?  
A. The first thing we need to do is provide science classes in primary and secondary school so girls and young women aren't so afraid of science and engineering related subjects.  We also need to support women going to college and believing in themselves.... and believing that they can get a good job and make a difference.  I never realized that I was smart and analytical until I went to my local junior college and was offered a variety of classes and felt the support from my professors.  Women have to believe in themselves and that they have more to offer than just menial labor..... whatever we can do to get women started on the right foot and not to feel intimidated... is the best thing we can do.... and make sure they have the opportunity to learn.....  Junior Colleges are absolutely the best for that.  Not as intimidating as a big 4 year school and classes tend to be smaller.


Q.  How can women take more notice in technology and science?
A.  Women need to believe that they can excel in these fields and that society and their religious community will support them.

Q.  Have you ever felt discriminated against?  
A.  I never have felt discriminated against but I know other women who have.  It is my opinion that you get back what you put out.  Although I realized early on that I needed to work harder and do better than my male counterparts to get noticed ---I always expected to be treated fairly and I was.  Some of the women I have worked with had a chip on their shoulders and when any little thing happened that they didn't like, they blamed it on sexual discrimination..... and that put an aura around them and I believe caused their discrimination.  I expected to be treated fairly, I worked hard, and didn't blame my gender on anything that was going wrong.  I felt responsible for my behavior and the outcomes of my work and didn't blame anyone or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment